The VIME project
Volunteers in Migrant Education
Experts in four countries, working within the Erasmus+ project VIME, have developed guidance and practical tools for volunteer organizations to adapt and use with the sole objective of facilitating and strengthening the quality of the language education support provided by language volunteers.
About the project
The Volunteers In Migrant Education (or VIME) project started in October of 2016 as part of Erasmus+, the EU's programme to support education and promote adult learning. The VIME project focussed on how language volunteers add value to migrant adult language and literacy learning. Volunteers in language teaching and practicing come in different shapes and sizes. Furthermore, they fulfill various roles: they provide support as language buddies or classroom assistants, act as mentors or run conversation clubs.
Over a period of two years, eight organizations from four European countries combined their expertise and experience in working with language volunteers in migrant education. Their aim: to provide guidance on the possible roles volunteers can play in the process of language learning, integration and participation of migrants in society. And to develop tools and training to improve the necessary competences of these language volunteers.
By September 2018, the VIME Project resulted in:
- A model on the roles of volunteers in migrant language education, the associated competencies required for these roles, as well as mechanisms for co-operation between language volunteers and language professionals.
- Screening procedures for language learning providers to help find suitable volunteers.
- Training modules that support language volunteers in carrying out their specific roles and acquiring the appropriate skills.
- A model for creating and developing policy regarding distribution of professional staff and volunteers.
- A guide for coordinators, language professionals and language volunteers on their respective roles, duties and the reciprocity between professionals and volunteers.
You can access and download all related documents by using the button below.
All of the organizations involved have experience of working within migrant education and the use of language volunteers. They are:
- Denmark: Slagelse Sprogcenter.
- Great Britain: ELATT Connected Learning and UCL Institute for education.
- Netherlands: ITTA (project leader), Het Begint met Taal and ROC West-Brabant.
- Slovenia: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of arts, Centre for Slovene as a second and foreign language and UPI ljudska univerza Žalec.
Do you want to know more about the implications and opportunities of the VIME project and how you can benefit from it? Contact the VIME-partner of choice in your country by clicking their logo:
Other EU /
Rest of World
VIME Project | 2016 - 2018 ©
The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.